Monday, September 8, 2008

Endo update

Just got back from my endo appointment, so I figured I'd blog about it now before I forget everything.

New diagnosis: polycystic ovarian syndrome. It's not causing my sleepiness, but it's probably not helping either. Regardless, it does explain my other symptoms I've struggled with (no periods, weight gain, facial hair, etc.), so at least I'm moving in the right direction. Doctor seemed not so jerkish this time -- maybe I caught him on a bad day last time, or maybe I perceived him as a jerk? Dunno, but he was super nice this time, but I do get the feeling he hates the office he's working in.

I had a very bad glucose tolerance test, which means my body doesn't process sugars. My fasting level was perfect, but after 2 hours, my blood sugar was still very elevated. He suggested doing diet and exercise (derr), as well as starting me out on a diabetes drug called Glucophage/metformin.

I also have low vitamin D levels. Could this explain the tiredness? Maybe. I just got back in the office, so I haven't had a chance to google much about it. I'm going to start taking supplements for that, so we'll see how that goes.

Well, that's about it. I just wanted to type up a quick update before I forgot everything.

No comments: