Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Happy MRI day!

I had my MRI today. Nothing super exciting besides the drive there and back. I freaking hate that side of town (Tuttle area, for you Columbusites) -- no one lets you over and everyone thinks they deserve your spot in traffic. Gah! Then on the way back, I almost got rear ended coming up to the split on I-70. Not fun! And then once I got onto Front St., there was some guy that pulled out into traffic that started having a mental breakdown afterwards. I don't know if he was honking and screaming at me, but HE was the one making the illegal maneuver from his stop sign, and I had the right away. It's not like I was doing 10mph -- I'm not that much of a stereotypical Prius driver. At least I got back to work alive, albeit with a very sore elbow from the injection.

Oh, right... Back to the MRI. Nothing exciting, as I said. Can't wear metals in there, got to listen to the radio station (lunch time requests! Why do people request "Push It" by Salt N Pepa -- seriously), took a mini nap, got the dye injected, then took another mini nap, and then it was done. I'll see my neuro at the end of the month to go over the results. Until then, I just have the EEG on Thursday to look forward to.

If anybody actually reads this, does anyone know if I'll be able to get a copy of the MRI or EEG? I'd love to frame them. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to work in the mri dept at my local hospital. I also have narcolepsy.
You should be able to get a copy of your scans. Definitely the MRI and the radiologist's report, but the EEG...you may only benefit from the report. Not certain if they do actual printouts of the electrical activity in the brain...?
At any rate, call the hospital, ask for the MRI dept and then ask for a copy of your MRI Scan and the report. The kind of images you receive will depend entirely on the technological standing of your hospital. If they are still in the stoneage, you won't be able to keep them, but you can sign out the films (with blood) under the agreement that they are being used for any followup appts where they may be needed....In this case, you gotta return them. If your hospital has made it into the 21st century, you can request films to keep(anywhere from 5-20 sheets depending on the scans done) or in some cases, the images can be put onto disc for the ultimate convenience and longevity of the resources. I like the cds...they aren't bulky, you don't need white light behind them to see them clearly, and most of the programs are self-loading, so if you have a decent computer, you can view the images at home.
Whatever you do, make sure to ask if there is a charge and always request films because you are taking them to an appt (even if you don't have one). Our hospital doesn't print films for people wanting to add to their personal picture albums....get my drift?
Hope this helps!